[thelist] how to add favicon to favelets

Lee kowalkowski lee.kowalkowski at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 17 05:02:17 CST 2006

On 17/11/06, VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK <volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com> wrote:
> However I haven't managed to achieve this with favelets.
>
> My favelet is in th form:
>
> javascript:(function(){
> self.location='http://www.example.com/Add.aspx?u='+
> encodeURIComponent(self.location.href)+'&i='+
> encodeURIComponent('secrethashcode');
> }
> )();
>
> Both web root of example.com and Add.aspx has a custom favicon defined.
> ( [link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" /] )

Ah, but your bookmark is a javascript: URI, which as a private URI
scheme, is not associated with network location whatsoever (because
it's not a URLs).

In IE, bookmarks are normal desktop shortcuts, and their icons can be
changed easily (right-click -> properties -> change icon).

In Firefox, bookmarks are stored in the profile's bookmarks.html, and
although I've not tried it, it doesn't look too difficult to copy the
base64-encoded icon from one bookmark to another.  So if you bookmark
your homepage, you should have the icon attribute string you need for
your javascript: bookmarks.

If you're looking to do this automatically for your users, del.icio.us
do it using downloads/extensions.  http://del.icio.us/help/

--
Lee