[thelist] accessible way to indicate that a form field is required

Lee kowalkowski lee.kowalkowski at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 17 08:23:53 CST 2006

On 17/11/06, Julian Rickards <julian.rickards at gmail.com> wrote:
> Given that the predominant browser is IE and most screen reader users
> use IE (support for Firefox in JAWS is only recent) and that IE does not
> support aural stylesheets, then aural CSS is not viable at the moment.

I don't think that it's a given that because IE doesn't support ACSS,
that means that therefore it's not possible that a screen-reader
running over the windows accessibility layer can.

Any tool with access to IE would also have access to the HTML DOM, and
therefore be able to request the ACSS for its own consumption.
Whether current assistive technologies currently do this I have no
idea.

A quick google seems to suggest that there's still not much suport for
ACSS, except for Opera 9, and perhaps only for XHTML+Voice
applications.

One for future consideration then, perhaps, if it ever takes off.

--
Lee