[thelist] accessible way to indicate that a form field is required

Barney Carroll barney at textmatters.com
Fri Nov 17 11:18:40 CST 2006

Max Schwanekamp wrote:
> I'm leaning toward putting in a span with text
> "required" and then putting it off-left (position: absolute; left:
> -9999em) with CSS, and styling the label with a bold font for visual
> users.  Though this will probably require slightly more maintenance.

The problem remains, for perfectly sighted users with fully compliant
up-to-date browsers with all the bells and whistles, bold is indeed a
common indication of emphasis, but doesn't spell out required.

If input is required, you should specifically state so - for all users.
The common practice for this (which I have no problem with) is to write
"Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required" followed by fields
marked with asterisks.

If it ain't broke...

Regards,
Barney