[thelist] accessible way to indicate that a form field is required

Max Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Fri Nov 17 11:50:19 CST 2006

Barney Carroll wrote:
> If input is required, you should specifically state so - for all users.
> The common practice for this (which I have no problem with) is to write
> "Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required" followed by fields
> marked with asterisks.
>
> If it ain't broke...

True enough, but how does a screen reader treat an asterisk?  I'd think
it would be irritating to hear "asterisk" after all the required fields.
  "Fields marked with an asterisk (asterisk) are required.  First Name
asterisk...Last Name asterisk...Email asterisk..." etc.

--
Max Schwanekamp
NeptuneWebworks.com