[thelist] a malicious site?

Brent Eades beades at almonte.com
Mon Nov 27 21:07:57 CST 2006

Steven Streight wrote:
> Yes, Joel that is the exact same prompt that I got. Weird, huh?

I go that too. There's something odd going on with that page. The
Firefox prompt is asking you what want to do with a URL that begins with
mms:// (which is Microsoft's proprietary streaming media protocol, for
serving its own formats such as .wmv, etc)... but ends with a .swf file
(i.e., Flash.)

*To my knowledge* one doesn't usually serve up Flash animations with the
mms protocol... these days you would normally use rtsp://, or whatever
is the latest protocol for streaming Flash. So I suspect Firefox is
getting confused when asked to use mms:// to serve up Flash content.

I stand to be corrected here, however...

--
Brent Eades
Almonte, Ontario