[thelist] Kul! Color Themes

John Dowdell jdowdell at adobe.com
Wed Nov 29 13:31:52 CST 2006

John DeStefano wrote:
> True, but at least the "websafe palette" still works for Linux users,
> whereas the Adobe link does not... I assume it's a Shockwave site?
> I'm getting prompted to install Flash, which I already have.  AFAIK,
> there is no solution for using Shockwave in Linux (aside from running
> it under Windows emulation, which isn't much of a solution).
> Linux folk will have to live vicariously through you on this one.

As Seth said, the current release version of Adobe Flash Player on
popular Linux variants is v7.0. There's a preview release of the 9.x
generation here:
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer9/

I'm on a PC at the moment, but I believe this should work for Kuler,
which does the fullscreen, kick-out-the-browser-chrome interface now
available for Flash Video. Interesting fullscreen video demos here:
http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Flash_Player:9:Update:Full-Screen_Mode:Demos

Shockwave is a different runtime engine, for Macromedia Director
presentations. I'm not sure how it entered this conversation.

For "How might a fresh install of Adobe Flash Player 9 beta for Linux
not display Kuler?" then possibilities include, but are not limited to:
non-compliant Linux (64-bit not yet native, eg); browser needs refresh
(check version number on testpage); other. Much might depend on what
exactly happens, what you do and see.

In the Kuler forum (linked off the Labs page) I see that someone else on
Linux is saying "it dont work", but without providing diagnostic info...
might want to check into that thread in case a scenario can be identified.

And btw, looking back at these "Death of Websafe" posts, it's hard to
believe that these articles came out six years ago....
http://www.lynda.com/hex.asp
http://www.webmonkey.com/webmonkey/00/37/index2a.html?tw=design

jd

--
John Dowdell . Adobe Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd