[thelist] CSS: div background color discrepancy

Julian Rickards julian.rickards at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 19:10:39 CST 2006

Ahh! I missed the float on the a element. That changes things a lot.

When you float something, you take it out of the document flow so its
containing element collapses. What you need to do is float the containing
element. Now this sounds as if you might have to then float the next
containing element and so on but you can limit this.

When you float within a float, the inner floated element regains its height
(hard to explain, but that's the gist of it).

Try this: remove the float on the a element. Float left the li, the ul and
the div. Put the background color on the div and set the width of the div to
100%.

The following code might help.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<head>
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<!--