[thelist] How to Code Multiple Languages?

Julian Rickards julian.rickards at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 18:59:46 CST 2006

This is a difficult issue and I don't think Answers.com has it correct.
First of all, they don't have character encoding specified (a recent article
on Sitepoint.com by Tommy Ollsson at
http://www.sitepoint.com/article/html-37-steps-perfect-markup is useful).
Adrian Roselli (formerly a member of this list) was a speaker at TOEvolt (I
was there<http://roselli.org/photos/toevolt/default.asp?f=conference_05&l=conference_04>too)
and talked about the difficulty of Localization and
Internationalization for a project he was working on. I think that the first
stage is to find the correct character encoding to cover all of the
characters for all your languages (there may be some choices), and secondly,
to use the lang attribute (which isn't used in Answers.com) to specify a
change of languages.

--
Website: http://jrickards.ca
Blog: http://pen-and-ink.ca