[thelist] Coding standards.... [headers]

Julian Rickards julian.rickards at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 13:37:01 CST 2006

I agree that the W3C specs don't always make the semantics of some of the
tags clear to the users: the <address> tag and the definition list are two
tags that are often discussed. However, heading levels require less
explanation: just ask any author or editor. No, you don't skip heading
levels because they must form an inverted tree and like a tree, the branches
don't need to have the same shape (number of sub-branches) but they do need
to anchor to the next level up/down.

Because the W3C has not made semantics very clear, relying on prior
education, and, to a certain degree, common sense, it means that there are
some discussions about the semantics of certain tags simply because the W3C
has not spelled out the details on the use of a tag.

--
Website: http://jrickards.ca
Blog: http://pen-and-ink.ca