[thelist] Creating zip files in PHP that are HUGE!

evolt at markgroen.com evolt at markgroen.com
Mon Dec 11 14:32:51 CST 2006

On Monday 11 December 2006 09:12, Tris wrote:
> I'm added this cool class to my site:
> http://www.phpconcept.net/pclzip/index.en.php
>
> It all works great, until I try and compile a large zip (80Mb)
>
> SO my question(s) are:
>
> 1. Anyone uesd tis before on large files

Not on a server myself, sorry.

> 2. would a Linux server have an inbuilt setting that stops it
> processign internally if there was too much load?

There is no Linux "server" per se, you probably mean Apache and PHP software
running with a Linux computer operating system. This class you have uses php,
and the php.ini file has a 30 second default setting for processes and will
time out if yours takes longer than that.

As well, the default php file handling capacity is 8MB internally, and a 2MB
upload limit - both can be changed if you have access to the php.ini file.

> 3. Any other ideas for creating large zips on teh fly..??

Create them locally (I use Linux and type "zip", the file name and it's done
in a twinkling) with a program that doesn't rely on other software than the
computer's operating system and then FTP to the server. Methinks Winzip, the
Linux and Mac compression softwares, all of them should be able to do large
files locally?

Then use the method that Jeff W. mentioned for distribution, having them
answer an email to download later if it's a big one....

The other way is the "chunk" the files, beyond what you may be looking for as
far as a simple answer, but it is another way to do it;

<http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=php+chunk+files&btnG=Google+Search&meta=>

cheers,

	Mark