[thelist] Workaround for setAttribute bug in IE7?

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 12:42:43 CST 2006

On 12/13/06, Lee kowalkowski <lee.kowalkowski at googlemail.com> wrote:

> > removing assignment to object property deletes DOM
> > attribute node
>
> I didn't actually say that because you can't remove assignments to DOM
> object properties without using removeAttribute (In IE).  The
> assignment operator is no way to go about removing objects or
> properties.

This was my point.

> What I said was assigning a property to null or undefined doesn't
> remove the property itself, just changes its value.  It could even
> create the property, if it doesn't exist, as stated in ECMA-262
> section 8.6.2.2.

Of course.

> So why shouldn't I expect it to create a DOM
> attribute?

See my domnode.length example. It was in the message you replied to,
but just in case:
http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-of-Mon-20061211/186779.html

It should only be "transparent to the user" if it's the only way to
manipulate attributes, or if all other methods are similarly
transparent. Otherwise it's a dumb design decision that causes
long-winded circular discussions like this one.

--
Matt Warden
Cleveland, OH, USA