[thelist] conceptual forward-thinking: is Switchy McLayout something you'll use?

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 04:05:50 CST 2006

> The future?  I don't really see anything here that developers haven't
> been trying to do for years, and I thought the trend of hacking layouts
> around based on screen size or user agent was long gone.

Well I use it in my site [1] although I don't call it that a fancy name as
called in the ALA article.
(A diagram showing how the layout scales depending on resolution [2]:
Text in Turkish, will plan to translate it in the future)

The technique is nothing new, it has been around for more than several
years.
I think I first coincided a decent implementation of it in "a man in blue"s
blog.

I use a flexible liquid layout in my site. I designed the layout **without**
javascript first, and it scales pretty well even without additional
scripting. And then fine-tuned it with (unobtrusive) JavaScript,
keeping in mind that JavaScript is for enhancing user experiene; rather
creating something new.

If the layout when scaled looks like crap without JS, imho it is not
enhancement; but it is **laziness**.

YMMV of course.

[1] http://www.sarmal.com/
[2] http://www.sarmal.com/DesignConcept.aspx (text in Turkish, though
diagrams and snippets are self-explanatory)

Cheers,
--
Volkan Ozcelik
+>Yep! I'm blogging! : http://www.volkanozcelik.com/cre8/blog/