[thelist] Escrow Services

Marc. S. webdevpost at delime.com
Wed Jan 10 16:01:54 CST 2007

Hi Hershel,

If you do go the 'letter of credit' route, you should note that there
are apparently two types of this - revocable and irrevocable letters
of credit. I can't give you professional advice on this, but certainly
seems that you want the latter. You can ask your bank what the
differences are, but here's a quick read -
http://www.crfonline.org/orc/cro/cro-9-1.html

I can understand your client being cautious if he has indeed been
screwed before, but really requiring a downpayment is becoming a
standard in this industry and it's entirely possible that he himself
was to blame for this bad fortune  - through lack of due diligence
before employing the developer perhaps.

You also shouldn't have to pay for the sins of others, so I'd also let
him know that while you understand his concerns, your business is on
the clock, so to speak, and you will need to include an administrative
fee in your costs for this.

regards.
-marc