[thelist] Accessibility/usability of "Select Option" at top of list

Mark Howells webdev at mountain.ch
Mon Jan 15 11:27:33 CST 2007

>> Some browsers take the label instead automatically,
>> if there's no value, so if you check server-side for an empty value,
>> you may run into problems with these browsers.
>
> Which browsers do this? I am not talking about omitting a value
> attribute. I am talking about setting it to an empty string.

It was just worth mentioning, if anyone was omitting value="" and
assuming that a null value would be sent. All Mac Browsers that I've
just tested send the label if there's no value defined (i.e. if
value="" is not included in the tag).

There's a list here, though out of date, shows that all browsers
tested return the label "Please choose:" on element Test4, as no
values are specified.

http://ppewww.physics.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/www/testselect.html

Mark Howells
- www.permanenttourist.ch