[thelist] Polish UTF-8 characters in a mySQL database with PHP

Nick Daverin ndaverin at marian.org
Tue Jan 16 11:41:00 CST 2007

Hello all, I'm having an odd problem. I have my database set for UTF-8,
and am trying to store Polish words (I can't speak a lick of Polish, so
please reply in English ;-) ). I can store all the letters except 'ą'
(an a with a tail if it gets corrupted in the email). That causes the
database to end the string... Has anyone dealt with this before? I have
this in my connection script:

mb_internal_encoding('UTF-8');
header('Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8');
mysql_query("SET NAMES 'utf8'", $link);
mysql_query("SET CHARACTER SET 'utf8'", $link);

-Nick