[thelist] Screen Resolution, which to design for?

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 11:49:04 CST 2007

There is the option of using javascript to test for viewport size and
> switching layout stylesheets accordingly, as exemplified by Volkan's
> site www.sarmal.com - and of course, media="handheld"... Beyond this I
> design for minimum size 1024x768.

Since I'm quoted I'd like to announce that due to popular demand
(some from evolters and some from elsewhere) I will put an English
translation of the article soon
(#define "soon" as within two weeks or so)

http://www.sarmal.com/DesignConcept.aspx

On the issue of handheld media I agree with Barney, for the time being an
alternate stylesheet
for @media handheld is the most apropriate solution
(since scripting support for mobile terminals is limited at best)

I secretly hope the JavaScript support of (n+1)th generation mobile
terminals will be better :)
The world is already complex as it is.

It all boils down to responsibility and self-judgement at the end.
If you find what you do is fair and sleep well at nights, then go ahead.
If not better re-consider your implementation.

<tip author="Volkan Ozcelik" type="productivity">
Ever heard of the concept of tagging? I bet you do.
Have you ever tried to use tags instead of folders for your files on your
computer?

tag2find is an excellent (and free) tool that does that for you:

vendor:

http://www.tag2find.com

a detailed blog post on why to use tags for categorizing large number of
files:

"who needs folders anyway"
http://www.volkanozcelik.com/cre8/blog/2007/01/who-needs-folders-anyway.html
</tip>