[thelist] productivity tip: tagging

Joel D Canfield joel at streamliine.com
Wed Jan 17 13:32:00 CST 2007

Steven Streight posited:

> I am not impressed with tags for blog posts. Everytime I
> click on one, I
> just get a list of barely relevant garbage, with no authority
> or credibility in general.

true enough; primary shortcoming of most document management systems is
the fact that you truly cannot force a mass of users to implement tags
meaningful to the rest of the group (or, often, themselves)

which is why I rarely follow a link regarding recommended reading or
music; the chances of any other person (except Best Beloved) coming
within a parsec of grokking my musical or reading taste is nil

backing into tagging using artificial intelligence derived from 'this is
how I would search, and this is what I would want to find' might work if
it could be made easier than I just made it sound

joel