[thelist] Optimizing MySQL

Max Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Thu Jan 18 18:29:30 CST 2007

Hello all,

We have a site based on a LAMP box (Red Hat 9, Apache 1.3, MySQL 4.1,
PHP 5).  MySQL is hammering the machine, eating 60-80% of the 1GB of
RAM.  To buy some time, we threw in another 1GB of RAM, but we know that
ultimately that the problem is the code--/my/ code--with non-efficient
queries and perhaps poorly-designed queries.  We plan to upgrade to
MySQL 5 within a matter of days, but I don't expect it to make a huge
difference in the memory consumption.

So my question is, what single resource (book or site) would you
recommend to me to get more better versed in optimizing MySQL and
queries to it?  Preferably with a focus on web applications for
small-to-medium businesses.  The shorter and more concise, the better.
I'm not eager to spend a week digesting a 900pp Wrox tome, if at all
possible.  But, quality is the highest criterion.

TIA!

--
Max Schwanekamp
NeptuneWebworks.com