[thelist] ?? How To: Search Zip Codes within x Miles ??

bj bj at kickasswebdesign.com
Fri Jan 19 10:03:15 CST 2007

>I should have been more clear.  We will have a database of several
>hundred thousand businesses across the nation, all within a certain
>industry.  A column in the database will be zip code.
>
>On the website, a user will enter their zip code ina text box and choose
>the distance from a drop down menue. We will return all the businesses
>that fall within that distance.

Hey Casey,

Rather than having to reinvent the wheel, I know that any good online
matchmaker/dating service script uses this functionality. I believe
there are a couple open source scripts of this type, so it's possible
you can use the bits that they use to achieve this.

You might also find this helpful:
http://www.micahcarrick.com/v2/content/view/4/3/

--
Ciao for now,