[thelist] new & improved SQL join syntax?

r937 rudy at r937.com
Fri Jan 19 09:44:33 CST 2007

hello!    ;o)

as you may know, i was one of the founding members of evolt, but ceased
being an active member about 3 years ago

today i have re-subscribed to the list, just so that i could make this post

i want to thank sarah for the very kind words (and matt for bringing them to
my attention), as well as randal and brian

thanks, folks, you've made my week

;o)

should anyone wish to read my "Ask The Expert" column, there are links to
all of the answers on this page -- http://r937.com/sqlate.cfm

regarding joins, here's a quick primer --

suppose you have the following two tables

 A     B
102   101
104   102
106   104
107   106

here's what you'd get for the various joins --

A inner join B
102   102
104   104
106   106

A left outer join B
102   102
104   104
106   106
107   null

A right outer join B
null  101
102   102
104   104
106   106

A full outer join B
null  101
102   102
104   104
106   106
107   null

A cross join B
102   101
104   101
106   101
107   101
102   102
104   102
106   102
107   102
102   104
104   104
106   104
107   104
102   106
104   106
106   106
107   106

remember, if you have a question about sql, post it to the list, because
there are easily a half dozen really really good sql people on here

but also, please feel free to email me directly, and if it's a question
you've posted on the list, i will pop in again and take a look

best regards

rudy
http://r937.com/