[thelist] encoding web addresses

Syed Zeeshan Haider szhorums at vfemail.net
Sun Jan 21 23:03:00 CST 2007

Hello,

I have a simple question as I am trying to mess around with the behaviours
of web browsers and trying to incorporate some of them into my own browsing
software.

How does a web browser encode web addresses?

Many special characters like space character, "%", "&" etc. are encoded by
web browsers in to the characters which are not illegal for web addresses
e.g. space character to "%20". What is the general rule used by web browsers
for this encoding? I am trying to write a little procedure in VB6 which
could identify illegal characters and encode them into web browser
compatible characters and the other way around.

Thanks,
--
Syed Zeeshan Haider