[thelist] Migrating from Photoshop to Fireworks

Nick Daverin ndaverin at marian.org
Thu Jan 25 12:15:09 CST 2007

Sarah Adams wrote:
>> I agree with you, if you hire someone that KNOWS Photoshop, and you
>> use Fireworks, buy photoshop for him.  Also why hire someone that knows
>> Photoshop, and not fireworks, when that is what you use to design your
>> site with??
>>

> This sounds like a pretty closed-minded attitude to me - I bet Nick's
> employer would have had much slimmer pickings when hiring if they'd
> insisted their designer had to be proficient in Fireworks. I could see
> if you were talking about Java vs classic ASP or something along those
> lines, but Photoshop and Fireworks are similar enough that someone who
> is comfortable with Photoshop probably wouldn't have any trouble getting
> on to Fireworks - the basic tools of image editing are still the same.
> In fact, a lot of designers would welcome the chance to learn something new.

As it was, we only received two applications for designers, one which we
hired (who knows Photoshop) and the other was more a developer (that
wanted to learn design) whom we hired as a part-time developer. As for
'forcing' Fireworks on the new designer, this is what we (all our
designers) are using,  so for compatibility we need them to use it as
well. The designer is all for learning, as Sarah suggested our new
designer is looking forward to it, I just wanted to know if anyone could
suggest anything they've found useful in the switch from Photoshop to
Fireworks.

As for Gimp on Windows, I'd heard it was a really buggy version of it. I
may look into it though, thanks.

-Nick