[thelist] get filename before the extension (php)

Mark Mckee lists at soddengecko.com
Thu Feb 1 14:05:39 CST 2007

Hi all

I have been searching around the usual forums to find some info on a
small script to get a file name. so far all I have found is how to
return the extension of the file. what I am aiming to do is return
everything before the extension.

the reason for this is I am making a small app that will create text
files for a friend who runs xampp locally and would like to add info to
text files so he can upload to his host that sadly does not have php
support or mysql databases.

on the edit page I use a GET request to call up the data of the file so
it can be edited and re saved. I have managed to get the file name into
the input bar but when saved it would save a file called "test.txt" as
"test.txt.txt"

obviously this is no good. I do not think my friend would appreciate
having to edit the .txt off the end of the file name every time he wants
to edit it.

this is the only function I have left to complete. does anyone here have
any suggestions?

Mark...