[thelist] format for video?

kasimir-k kasimir.k.lists at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 05:40:44 CST 2007

> On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 19:20 -0800, bill scheider wrote:
>> > I have a client who was interviewed on a tv station and wants the
>> > video put on her website.

Shawn K. Quinn scribeva in 02/02/2007 11:11:
> To get it to you in anything besides a VHS or DVD dub, she would need
> some sort of video capture equipment on her PC.

Or find a local shop doing video capture - they might even do it
directly to a suitable for web version, but at least make DVD of the VHS.

> If she can get it onto a
> DVD it shouldn't be too hard to copy the video in question out of the
> VOBs on that DVD (Thoggen for GNU variants comes to mind, I'm sure
> something similar exists for Windows boxes).

For Windows this does the trick: http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html
And it's free to use too.

Checking out some basic tutorials is also a very good idea, for example
here: http://www.videohelp.com/convert

You also need to decide how you want the video in there: should visitors
be able to view it on the site, or should they download it for viewing
with their mediaplayer, or maybe both? For showing video online I'd
recommend Flash video, and for downloads mpg-format.

.k