[thelist] How does IE store cookies?

Lee kowalkowski lee.kowalkowski at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 2 15:36:38 CST 2007

On 02/02/07, Peter Brunone (EasyListBox.com) <peter at easylistbox.com> wrote:
>   Well, I know that IE (thought they were all like this) doesn't persist the cookie past when you close the browser if you don't explicitly set an expiration data; might that have something to do with where it's kept?

Peter's right, there are two types of cookie - persistent and session.

A persistent cookie requires an expires value, and that defines the
life of the cookie.

A session cookie is held in memory (in IE at least), and when the
browser is closed (IEXPLORE.EXE, not just the window), the cookie
ceases to exist.

It's persistent cookies that most cookie-blockers are concerned with,
but most allow complete control right up to even disabling session
cookies.

--
Lee