[thelist] Site check, please?

Steven Pierce steven.pierce at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 00:42:30 CST 2007

On 2/4/07, Matthew Bernhardt <bernhardt.7 at osu.edu> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>   I'd like to ask interested folks to take a look at this site and offer
> feedback:
>
> http://benedikt.knowlton.ohio-state.edu

This is a re-launch of the web presence for the school where I work - you
> can see our current site here:
>
> http://knowlton.osu.edu
>
> Notes about the new site and my priorities:
>
> * Generally speaking, I'm interested in critiques from a usability/clarity
> perspective first, before aesthetic concerns. The internal stakeholders can
> (and have) given me quite a bit of feedback about the "look" of the site.

OK.. the site is usuable.  Not much more then that.

Why is the home page blank?  There is the menu, and a white page?  Also the
bottom of the page you have (IE 7 and FF) the address and phone number all
the way to the right had side of
the page?

No matter what page you are on, if you scroll the page.  The right hand side
of the page
does not keep up with the left had side.  They do catch up, but for a moment
you get a
page that does not meet.  So the text is out of kilter.

On the People page, the info at the bottom of the page you need to really
look at it to see what
is there.  At first glance, I thought that a lot of the info was cut off.
Once I looked at it for a
while, I noticed that it was not cut off, but it was the way it was
designed.

When you click on the menu, just as it is loading the new page, you get a
jump.  It appears
like the menu is reloading, but in fact it is not.

* The menu system is currently not what I'd choose if I had complete freedom
> - as inferred above, I'd rather do this with CSS and background colors.
> However, the design perspective needs greater control over the letters,
> spacing, and font than I can currently achieve with CSS and
> normally-available fonts. Am I missing something? I would -love- to ditch
> the images here.

http://medicalcenter.osu.edu/mediaroom/

Look at the med school menu's are done in CSS and are very nice looking.
They go across the top of the page, and give you other info, but do not get
in the
way of the main part of the site.