[thelist] Email: Newsletter Programs

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 18:03:49 CST 2007

On 2/6/07, Steven Streight <steven.streight at gmail.com> wrote:

> But does a newsletter, email variety, need graphics to do its job?

*It depends on the context*

> Maybe it's just me, and ppl like me, but an email is not about photos

Yes, sorry to break the news, but it *is* just you (and people like you),
which does not include everyone :-)

> Graphics in newletters seems to carry a wee bit of "let's make it pretty"
> and "ppl like pix" and "it must conform to Corporate Style"...

How about they carry a fair bit of "branding", as well as information,
in an *emotionally engaging context*?

Do you, by chance, get newsletters from REI? Patagonia? Two wildly
differing styles, but both engaging and effective. Outdoor gear and
garments, shown in a natural setting. The word "tent" doesn't quite
juice the mojo like seeing a picture of a pitched tent overlooking a
green valley, snow-capped peaks in the distance. The first says,
"tent". The second says "whoa. Camping. ROAD TRIP! Where's the
credit card with some overhead?". :-)

Let's see -- Levis? Swell? Amazon? Pictures of books, how droll. Yet
without parsing /a single word/ I can see that the offerings include
O'Reilly selections (thanks to their distinctive covers) so I'm already
inclined to look more closely and *read* the details. I am *engaged*.

There are many ways to use imagery in communication, and there's
no reason I can see that that doesn't apply to email newsletters.

In context. :-)

Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com