[thelist] Speed and Flash Problems

John Dowdell jdowdell at adobe.com
Wed Feb 7 12:31:36 CST 2007

Hershel Robinson wrote:
> Site is: http://www.medeagrp.com/
> Client says: The pages load very slowly. I have had this checked by 4 other people
> and they all have the same issue.

I noticed that it took awhile for the server to initially respond, but
then the page and its content loaded normally.

In the SWF, the scaling of images and the overlaying of multiple scaled
images with alpha transparency is computationally expensive. The loading
seemed fine, but all those multiple alpha levels are slower than
unscaled images or non-alpha overlays.

The "click to activate" was introduced in Microsoft Internet Explorer
for Windows XP, Service Pack 2. For OBJECT, EMBED, and APPLET tags in
the HTML itself, no interactivity will be available until the user
follows the instructions and clicks. You can avoid this by writing in
the tags dynamically from an external JavaScript file. More info here:
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/activecontent/
http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/popular_topics/click_to_activate/

If you're using Internet Explorer and do *not* see this "click to
activate" on in-page tags, then that could indicate that the computer is
not yet using XP SP2 or better, and I'd strongly recommend updating the
system for security reasons.

jd

--
John Dowdell . Adobe Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd