[thelist] wide-screen monitors and sites

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Fri Feb 9 17:10:55 CST 2007

On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 03:22:04PM -0700, Bob Meetin wrote:
> The question here is twofold - as I develop sites must I be checking
> them on widescreens as well - and if so, will the nice large standalones
> (21"-22") give me the same display as those on laptops? I hate to think
> this, but it might also be that the widescreen exposed problems in
> design techniques(some learning curve...), meaning that the monitor is a
> tool, a crutch.

I guess I don't understand why a wide screen monitor would make any
difference -- it's just, eh, wider.  The problem is if the computer
thinks the screen is 10" wide, but it's really 15" wide with the same
resolution, then when it renders something an inch wide it's not going
to look like an inch on the monitor.

Buying a wide screen monitor is not going to allow you to see how
other people's computers are incorrectly configured.  Just how yours
is or isn't.

But, I'd get the wide screen monitor just to have it. ;)

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org