[thelist] [JOB] Junior Applications Developers - San Antonio, TX

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 12:31:15 CST 2007

On 2/14/07, Christian Heilmann <codepo8 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I was only trying to save him time through the experience I have had. I go through a few agencies for work, (via a jobs list - Chinwag).
> > A lot of them have these fairly vague terms, (mid weight, x years experience etc).
> > I know how much I am worth but it is a waste of everyone's time if you have to email an agent to ask them, (then they generally want a CV before even answering a question.) Only to find out that they are thinking of a different figure.
>
> I've hired about 8 people last year and went through about 50 CVs.
> None of the people we took on asked about the money or felt the need
> to as it is a common courtesy to pay what people are worth.

I would have more confidence in this when pursuing a job with Yahoo
that I would pursuing a job with a small start-up with little or no
reputation. I'm not sure you can really compare the two. I interviewed
with Yahoo before, and they even came out and said something like
"We'll make sure you're paid what you're worth." (Now, what that
actually means in California dollars, I have no idea.)

Jay, I think I you misunderstood my point. I didn't see a problem with
omitting the salary, as I felt it was implicit in your description.
>From your response, though, if you are truly trying to come off as
flexible, you may wish to be more explicit about that. I did not get
that impression at all in your description, except that you had a
desperate need and might take someone slightly underqualified.

However, I know that when I have browsed monster.com and such sites on
occasion, I more or less ignore any post that does not include
ballpark salary. Monster.com is a certain kind of beast, though. Many,
many job postings. Applying to each takes time, and time is money.
Don't be so quick to dismiss a back-of-mind calculation of: chance of
success * expected salary, that might be used when someone is deciding
whether to take the time to apply for a given position. This is most
certainly in the decision-making process for those of us formally
trained in Economics, but I think it is there to a lesser extent in
the psychology of everyone.

Jay, your post to thelist was just fine to me -- it had enough
information for me to determine that it was not something I was
interested in. I can see how someone matching the job requirements
might have trouble deciding whether to take the time to apply, because
the information needed to estimate expected value is missing.

Worst case, though, they'll just ignore it.

--
Matt Warden
Cleveland, OH, USA