[thelist] webmasters acting as sysadmins

Steven Streight steven.streight at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 11:39:43 CST 2007

My boss told me recently that the divide between IT departments and business
management is only going to get worse.

The end result will be, and is already happening: companies outsourcing IT
to the IT services companies, who sell the companies a "black box" that
management cannot look inside and figure out. This means that when there is
a problem, they have to have the outsourced IT firm fix it.

IT and business management really need to spend the time and effort to
understand each other's realms.

Would it kill an IT guy to read a book by Drucker, Tom Peters, Seth Godin,
Jack Welch, or some other management or marketing guru? Would it kill a
management executive to study a little about web services, HTML, web
usability, CSS, etc.?

I think not.