[thelist] "Web 2.0 sites with the big friendly fonts"

Barney Carroll barney at textmatters.com
Wed Feb 21 10:57:41 CST 2007

Felix Miata wrote:
> Maybe it's an indirect impetus to get designers to see the folly of not
> basing designs on 100% of user defaults. 100% of user defaults leaves it up
> to each user to decide what's too big or too small or just right for his
> local environment. After all, each is ostensibly using his own PC (or
> whatever web access device). http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/bigdefaults.html

What do you mean by "basing designs on 100% of user defaults"? My
impression of changing default text size is that it's only ever done by
designers working in EMs, although I'm among them and I do so precisely
to allow for this negligible persona.

It makes me think harder about text sizes, but I don't think I'll reach
the same conclusions.

Regards,
Barney