[thelist] Text editor recommendations

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 11:37:15 CST 2007

On 2/21/07, Charles Wiltgen <cwiltgen at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> I don't think so.  I've been using Aptana
> <http://aptana.com/> to develop
> Objecty <http://wiltgen.net/objecty/>, and I believe
> it does everything you
> list here except PHP auto-complete/syntax highlighting
> (which I know they
> intend to do).
> >
> > This came up a while back as a recommend on this
> list i think, I installed
> it and it did seem very nice, but It ate up most of
> mysystem resources, so I
> reverted back to Homesite.
>
> FWIW, I've had it launched an open for a couple days,
> and it's using about
> 25MB.  Compared to Windows Explorer (43MB), Outlook
> (90MB) and Firefox
> (425MB, don't ask how many tabs), Aptana's resource
> demands are minimal for
> me.

I tried Aptana, and I liked the thoroughness of it (and implementation
of YUI, which does come in handy for me for some reason). That said, I
just can't get warm with IDEs. I don't thrive on having lots of files
and folders generated when I edit one single HTML file and the fact
that aptana installs itself as the source viewer for MSIE is more than
annoying.

I still cling a bit to Homesite, as I've used it since version 3.0,
but I just started using Notepad++ and I must say I am impressed.

--
Chris Heilmann
Book: http://www.beginningjavascript.com