[thelist] Generating PDF files

John Dowdell jdowdell at adobe.com
Wed Feb 21 17:13:52 CST 2007

Santilal Parbhu wrote:
> I am developing an application that creates a sports draw and results table.
> The draw depends on the number of teams entered which is unknown until after
> the teams have all entered.  Currently, the draw is served as a html file,
> which is rendered in the user's browser.  What I want to be able to do is to
> create a pdf file which people can download.  My reason for this is so that
> I can have greater control over what the final printed out version looks
> like. Can anyone help. Thanks.

What type of sports team is it? I'm waiting for the US baseball season
myself... Barry Bonds reported to training camp yesterday, and he
dressed in a way sure to please the photographers present.

Anyway, are you trying to get some server to automatically generate PDF
files? If so, can you use any type of server, or only particular
environments (like PHP or whatever)? And do you know how the computer
will be able to find the data... is it like in an XML stream, or a
webservice, or a text file, or something like that? And maybe you have
limits on costs, or skillsets, there might be other constraints in the
problem?

... hmm... it almost sounds like "after the teams have all entered" is a
one-time event, and that you'd be able to manually create such a file
yourself, and wouldn't need serverside generation at all. I guess I'm
not sure what the question is yet, sorry.

But thanks for reminding me that baseball's spring training is about to
start, I'll have to get my orange hat out.... ;-)

jd

--
John Dowdell . Adobe Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd