[thelist] customizable ecommerce solutions

Bob Meetin ontheroad at frii.com
Wed Feb 28 11:52:05 CST 2007

Yes I know there are some old threads on e-commerce.  I have a potential
client who has a small quantity of somewhat configurable products to
sell online.  He expects to take major credit cards, so a paypal only
solution doesn;t cut the mustard.

They are somewhat like customized greeting cards.  I am comfortable
creating input forms (php/mysql) so that the customer can input text and
then create a preview of the product (perhaps with a watermark or whatever).

The problem - I've used zen-cart and also digishop in the past.  My
expertise with zen-cart is simply not strong enough at this point to be
able to set up a module such as I described in the previous paragraph to
work with zen-cart.

This comes to that - I'd also prefer a solution that comes with some
official support as opposed to a forum and whenever some feels like
responding - so if there is a reasonably priced commercial packages out
there that works, this would be fine.

The sort-of requirements:

transaction processing and shopping cart checkout - visa, master card, etc
run on linux, bsd, unix
good documentation and development support
easily enough customized such that I can set up CSS navigation/menus if
necessary (although fly out menus not necessary for this client)
preferably - can be added on as a payment module to an existing site
rather than building site around the program.  this talks to being able
to make it work with the custom forms described above.
does not need to be complicated if it works

Over, Bob