[thelist] Calendar solutions

Rob O'Rourke rob at sanchothefat.com
Wed Feb 28 16:48:43 CST 2007

Matt Warden wrote:
> On 2/28/07, Rob O'Rourke <rob at sanchothefat.com> wrote:
>
>>> Yes, but your friend would need to write code to retrieve the XML,
>>> walk the tree, and translate the XML to API calls (would be relatively
>>> simple in this case)
>>>

>> Can YUI calendar subscribe to an .ics file? We're doing the hosting and
>> have WebDAV if that makes things easier...
>>

> As far as I know, there are no built-in hooks like this (how would it
> know what you want to do with the ics file, exactly?). You can
> retrieve the file via XHR, parse it, and load the data via API calls.
> Seems like this might be a little tough:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICalendar#Core_object
>
> Your best option there would likely be to fetch the ics from the
> server, parse it with any one of a number of libraries, and output a
> JavaScript array or object.

Thanks Matt,

    It was my fault for skim-reading the YUI calendar page. I noticed
something that said 'subscribe' and made some assumptions but it was
about subscribing to events. It's not clear to me yet from the
documentation how I would go about highlighting sections of dates with
API calls but I'll keep plugging away.  I think I might  get on the
mailing list for YUI and suggest iCal subscriptions as a feature request
because it'll take me ages to work it all out, let alone code it. Event
details could be shown when you hover on the dates etc... I can see it
now... way way off in the distance =[

    I've opted for http://www.easyphpcalendar.com/ in the short term.
The standards aren't so good but it's quite reasonable and flexible and
easy to integrate. Ideal for this project anyway.

    Thanks again to everyone who suggested solutions,
    Rob