[thelist] PHP, PDF and IE7

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Mon Mar 12 12:24:25 CDT 2007

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 05:07:02PM +0000, kasimir-k wrote:
> Bill Moseley scribeva in 12/03/2007 15:56:
> > Is IE7 really looking at the file's extension to determine the content
> > type instead of the content type header?
>
> No, not instead, but in addition to.
>
> IE7 checks the file's MIME type from the header and the extension, and
> these must match. IIRC it has also a mime magic type of sniffing, and
> that must match too.

And if they don't match what does it use?  Is this behavior supported
in any of the RFCs regarding http?  Such as RFC 2616.

> So if you want to serve pdfs to IE7, then the files must have a .pdf
> extension.

And does that only apply to pdfs (for some odd reason) or also to .doc,
.jpg, .gif, .xls and so on?

We have all seen people complain that other browsers are broken
because their web pages show fine in IE but shows the source in other
browsers.  Of course it's because their webserver is set to send
text/plain for .html files.  I'm just wondering if this is the same
issue or not.

I would have hoped that it was fixed in IE7 considering how long its
been a problem.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org