[thelist] PHP, PDF and IE7

kasimir-k kasimir.k.lists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 06:25:31 CDT 2007

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 05:07:02PM +0000, kasimir-k wrote:
>> IE7 checks the file's MIME type from the header and the extension, and
>> these must match. IIRC it has also a mime magic type of sniffing, and
>> that must match too.

Bill Moseley scribeva in 12/03/2007 17:24:
> And if they don't match what does it use?  Is this behavior supported
> in any of the RFCs regarding http?  Such as RFC 2616.

> And does that only apply to pdfs (for some odd reason) or also to .doc,
> .jpg, .gif, .xls and so on?

It may be that I didn't remember things quite correctly - it's not only
IE7 that does the MIME sniffing, but IE6 too[0]. And if there's no match:
"...If there is still a mismatch between the two handlers, Internet
Explorer displays a prompt that forces the user to confirm whether to
load the file in the MIME handler...."

I wonder where I got the idea that this were an IE7 issue - maybe it's
more strict with it or something.

.k

[0]http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/xpsp2compat.asp#mime