[thelist] Bidi support in Flash?

John Dowdell jdowdell at adobe.com
Wed Mar 14 15:07:38 CDT 2007

Marcus Bristav wrote:
> Does anyone know what the current status of bidi language support is
> in later versions of Flash? I tried to google a bit but mostly found
> old pages.

Adobe Flash Player 9 does not yet support right-to-left scripts such as
Arabic or Hebrew, sorry.

I know that this has been desired by the Player team for the last few
versions, but the wildcard has been tapping into the (optional)
system-level routines for right-to-left text... gracefully degrading on
systems which don't support RTL is one tricky problem. Handling
ligatures and bound character pairs similarly across OS has been another
barrier.

I haven't heard any announcements about feature sets for future versions
of the Player. I've heard execs say RTL scripts are very desired, but I
don't know when we'll be able to deliver.

That said, here are some recent links to places where people are
simulating this OS-level support during the creation process:
http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd/archives/2006/02/flaraby2_beta.cfm
http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd/archives/2005/09/flashrtl_projec.cfm

jd

--
John Dowdell . Adobe Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd