[thelist] File delivery system?

Ron Dorman rwd at csi1st.net
Sun Mar 25 00:47:22 CDT 2007

Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-03-24 at 17:18 +0000, kasimir-k wrote:
>
>> It actually is. For example if I'm selling large files, there's the
>> bandwidth cost. And if somebody wanted to redistribute the purchased
>> file, it would be a lot easier for them to send the link to others, than
>> sending the file itself.
>>

> If they want to copy it, they will, and there's really no stopping it. I
> can understand making the link one use only, though even this has the
> potential to cause almost as many problems as it solves.
>

>> Of course this is no help against professional pirates, but for average
>> consumer it significantly reduces the temptation to share the file.
>>

> Please don't use the term "pirate" to refer to one who makes copies in
> violation of copyright law and/or the author's intent or wishes.
> Unauthorized copying is in no way comparable to robberies and murders on
> the high seas.
What makes robberies on the Internet, or the soil of the Earth, or anywhere, any different than robberies on the high seas? There are not shades or levels of stealing, there is only stealing or not stealing.

Same question and truth applies for murder, and all other offenses against a fellow human.

Robbery, thieving, stealing, etc. are what they are. Spins, twists and dodges do not change the reality of the action.

I would suggest to kasimir-k that you test using .htaccess in the file directory your files are in to deny access to all except your domain. Then the file cannot be linked or downloaded from other domains.

This will not stop people from sending their copy to someone else, or sharing their access credentials with someone else, but it will stop the use of your bandwidth by someone else.

Ron D.