[thelist] java servlet question

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 13:06:38 CDT 2007

On 3/27/07, Bruce Gilbert <webguync at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am attempting some tutorials from a book I bouth called 'Foundations
> of Ajax', and the exercises that involve a java servlet are not
> working. These are files ending in .java that are called from the html
> file with JS/CSS etc. My question I guess is does the .java servlet
> file need to live in a certain directory on the server or is there any
> special installation on the server end to get this to work? The server
> is remote, so I don't have direct access to it, but I do know it's an
> apache server.

The Apache httpd server doesn't support servlets.

You would be better off to install a local copy of Tomcat (get it from
tomcat.apache.org) and work from there.

And a servlet's source (.java) file needs to be compiled into a .class
file, put in a specific place, mapped in the webapp's deployment
descriptor -- there's a bit to it. I'd try to google up some introductory
servlet tutorial, for starters. Alternatively, you may be able to figure
it out from the examples that come with Tomcat.

HTH,
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com