[thelist] Validating Mime Type of Uploads

Mark Groen evolt at markgroen.com
Wed Mar 28 10:09:32 CDT 2007

On Wednesday 28 March 2007 07:55, Randal Rust wrote:
> On 3/28/07, Erik Mattheis <gozz at gozz.com> wrote:
> > On Windows, it's Folder Options > File Types;
>
> I can add PDF or XLS as a new extension, but there is no application
> to associate it with.
>
> So it looks like there is no way to for the box I'm uploading from to
> tell the server that the MIME type is application/pdf unless I install
> Acrobat and associate PDF files with the correct program.

Correct, and in addition to Erik's information; there is no MIME content-type
for PDF (excepting that browsers and servers are already including it as a
type, as an Official assignment it's not in the specs yet) so your web server
is going to fall back to what the browser is telling it to expect to be
uploaded, in your case the default: application/octet-stream.

From the horse's mouth:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types-parameters

FWIW, with the PDF format being accepted as an open standard just recently, it
maybe added as a media type in the future.

--
cheers,

        mark