[thelist] Career Help

Barney Carroll barney at textmatters.com
Fri Mar 30 09:01:24 CDT 2007

Hassan Schroeder wrote:
 > On 3/30/07, Nancy Johnson <nancychristine49 at yahoo.com> wrote:
 >
 > Sorry, this seems awfully vague, but --
 >
 >>   What would be the best way to update these skills?
 >
 > uh, however *you* learn best?
 >
 > Buy a book, work through a tutorial online, take a class, join a user
 > group. How would you *like* to update them?

I don't know just how much like the UK the US is, but from over here I'd
say definitely /don't/ join any courses.

The number of people I've met of my age (20) who've come out of uni
qualified for web design... Are usually at a disadvantage because
they've spent formative years under the impression that they've been
learning useful stuff. Educating these people is a lot like rehab for
children of strong Catholic persuasions.

Get some skills, learn what you're dealing with, is what I tell them.

I'm not saying you're in that position, but as far as I've seen,
paid-for education on the subject of this grand cyberweb of ours is
about as good as the blurb for /Dreamweaver for dummies/.

Subscribing to this list is a good start. My general advice goes along
the lines of

- Subscribe to evolt.org's, Eric Meyer's and the WSG's lists, and
alistapart.com's RSS.
- Get Jeremy Keith's /DOM Scripting/ - http://domscripting.com/book/.
- Download Firefox and the Web Developer and Firebug extensions.

If you want to get into PHP, I'd recommend downloading and installing
something like Mambo and experimenting. Set yourself tasks. Always have
your mind on a desired result, and play about with the code to see if it
gets close.

Experimenting and talking to others is always the best way to learn.
Corporate IT education is useless except for learning the logic behind
MS Office menus.

Regards,
Barney