[thelist] audio / mpeg 4 on a site

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Fri Mar 30 14:07:25 CDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 21:31 +0800, Birdie wrote:
> He is going to use garage band to create them and says they
> will be made as mpeg 4 files.

> Firstly. is this the best format to save them in ?

I would save them as Ogg Vorbis. I'm not sure what exactly he means by
an "MPEG 4" audio format; last time I checked, that was a video
specification.

> Secondly, they need to be accessed from the site by clicking
> on a link.
>
> When I tried this with some mpeg movie files I had of my kids
> they automatically opened in quicktime on both my mac and pc machines.

Running which operating systems?

> What happens if someone doesn't have quicktime, will they
> still play but on a different player ? And is this the same
> for audio. ( I don't have any audiofiles to play around with)

That depends entirely on how the browser is set up. If it opens in
something weird like Quicktime, it's because your browser is set up that
way.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>