[thelist] Career Help

Taurus James taurus_james at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 30 17:28:18 CDT 2007

You must plan.  Write a list of everything you want to learn and
all of the skills you want to develop.  Figure out which items
you have the opportunity to attain while in the position you
have now.  Always use your current position to advance you to
the next level you want to attain. Chart your "career course" by
deciding where you want to end up when you retire.  Then do
everything you can to make the items on your list happen.

Make time everyday to develop your skills and your plan and you
you will get to where you want to go in your career.  Be careful
not to waste time "wandering" around in jobs that hinder your
forward progress.

> Corporate IT education is useless except for learning the
> logic behind
> MS Office menus.

LOL!  I started out in software development by learning the
logic  behind MS Office Menus!!  Eight years ago, I was an admin
assistant (temp secretary) at this corporate headquarters when a
contractor saw my work in VBA and invited me to join his company
as an entry-level software developer.  I took the position and
became a sponge, learned as much as I could.  Now, I'm a Project
Manager/Senior Web Developer. (not bad for a political science
major!)

Regards,
Taurus

--