[thelist] Google Images referrals

Mattias Thorslund mattias at thorslund.us
Sat Apr 7 21:28:46 CDT 2007

Hiyall,

I've been looking at some of the stats of one of the sites I run. In the
list of referrals by search engines I see the following (absolute
numbers redacted):

February:       Pages   Hits
===============================
Google          87.9 %  87.2 %
MSN              5.5 %   5.5 %
Yahoo            2.2 %   2.2 %
Google (Images)  1.9 %   2.7 %
Others           2.5 %   2.4 %

March:          Pages   Hits
===============================
Google          72.3 %  66.1 %
Google (Images) 16.2 %  23.2 %
MSN              3.5 %   3.2 %
Yahoo            2.7 %   2.7 %
Others           5.3 %   4.8 %

One thing that jumps out is of course Google's absolute dominance in
these referrals.

I also note that Google Images have jumped significantly from one month
to the next. Wonder what new image on my site matches a hot search
phrase? All the images are pretty boring anyway.

One thought is that Google Images changed their referral headers some
time in February so that hits from there can be broken out from other
Google referrals. Anyone know? Other ideas?

Mattias