[thelist] what's your favorite video capture config?

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 18:10:36 CDT 2007

> I'm going to need to do regular capture from DVD to some web-friendly format. Often, these DVDs won't play in my fairly new PC; possibly the way they're created (over which I have no control.)
>
> How do *you* capture video for the web? If you could choose any method that exists, what would it be? Why?
>
> My usual computer is Windows, but I have an older Mac and a Fedora Linux box; Mac and Linux are wimpy hardware.

Are you talking about own video footage to DVD conversion or
converting DVDs to AVI or MPG?

For the latter I normally use XMPEG http://www.xmpeg.net/
To convert large DVDs to playable 4.5GB ones DVDShrink rocks the boat:
http://www.dvdshrink.org/

All of which of course should never be used to convert copyrighted
material. The film industry needs every penny it can get to produce
films like Cheaper By The Dozen and recreate French or English
classics like Taxi or Pink Panther in much better American versions.
It also makes total sense to me that I can legally buy DVDs in the US
but shouldn't be able to play them back home, my loss to not look
closely at the packaging.

--
Chris Heilmann
Book: http://www.beginningjavascript.com