[thelist] MS "WPF/E" - anyone playing with this?

John Dowdell jdowdell at adobe.com
Tue Apr 10 12:29:28 CDT 2007

Anthony Baratta wrote, in part:
> What does our resident Adobe guru (John Dowdell) think about this "new"
> technology from MS? ;-) [Not trying to troll, just wondering if he has
> looked at it and has any constructive comments.]

heh, thanks for the out, I need it.... ;-)

I've been tracking Microsoft's "Sparkle" talk since 2001, and went to their "MIX" event last year where it was unveiled... suspect they'll release a 1.0 at their 2007 MIX conference next month. The story seems to have changed a bit over its gestation, and so I'll defer on commentary until they commit.

Tracking changes in recent builds, the emphasis seems to now be on chromeless video, likely as a way to preserve future ad revenues in light of the success of YouTube-style video. Your mileage may vary, though.

My prior notes:
http://weblogs.macromedia.com/mtadmin/mt-search.cgi?IncludeBlogs=28&search=wpf%2Fe

jd/adobe