[thelist] managing php include dependencies?

Ivo evolt-thelist at sinchi.org
Wed Apr 11 16:42:26 CDT 2007

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, I was able to solve the problem.

Seems that the order in which files are specified with include_once/require_once does not guarantee parsing order (with the exception that files will not be parsed again if included multiple times). Does this sound correct? I did not find in the documentation anything related to this but perhaps I am overlooking it.

I have a lot of php files that are standalone components and they can be used together to build more complex components. To satisfy dependencies and to prevent double inclusions I was relying on include_once / require_once at the top of each file. This creates huge web of dependencies for files that consist of multiple components which in turn are based on the same components but different arrangements.

I was able to force parsing order by using

if(! defined('configuration.php')) require('configuration');

And this revealed bugs due to circular dependencies.

I guess PHP doesnt parse a file & its includes sequentially but rather builds a tree of all included files in a code path and they looks for the best parsing order to satisfy all dependencies. Since there were two circular dependencies in the code path I was having problems with the parsing path was less than optimal.

Thanks,

Ivo