[thelist] CSS image replacement woes

Garth Hagerman hagerman at mcn.org
Wed Apr 11 21:27:33 CDT 2007

Hi-
I've been trying to use the css hover state image swap trick for the
site navigation of an existing site, diggingdog.com. My most recent
attempt is here:
<http://diggingdog.com/pages2/navtest2.html>
I reverse-engineered the basics from a functioning site, modifying to
suit the needs of this one. All was going well, until I needed two
images in a row. When I attach the moving background image to a div,
all is well. When I attach the image to a span, the image moves down
about 20px and only  the top of the image shows. When I used a div
with display:inline, it behaves like I'd used a span. Ditto when I
attach the image as an id on the li tag.
All of that is on my Mac. The results are the same in Firefox and
Safari.
On IE/Windows, the two image row almost works, there's just a little
purple showing, as if the image is placed up a few pixels.

Does anybody know what's going on here and how to fix it?

Some notes on the test page:
The first section works fine, as does the first row of the second
section. The problem occurs in the second row of the second section.
The third row of the second section is non-moving images (for now).
Below the second section there's a sample of one of the movable
images, displayed in its enirety, and a bunch more images which will
be added to the second section when I get the two image row thang
figured out.
The css stuff is in the head of this test page; I'll move it to the
site's style sheet when it's operational.

    thanks in advance
    Garth

                                my online portfolio

                           http://garthhagerman.com/